3.18.2008

The other night I had a dream

Now, I know, most people don't really care to hear about dreams that other people have. But, I don't care. I am going to describe my dream anyway. It was a new one to me. I think it's just a variation on the anxiety dreams that I get from time to time, but it was special, because it was a new scenario. Here goes...

I was standing in a dark room. There was enough light to see who else was there, but not enough to see the walls. There were four other people in the room. One was a woman roughly my age, and I knew that she was a friend, and that I wanted to protect her. The other three people were young. Two of them appeared to be in their late teens, a boy and a girl, and the third was in his early teens. As we were standing there talking the three of them were becoming more and more agitated. The older boy was the first to lose control. As he lost control, the teenage girl reached out and slapped his cheek. As her slap landed some kind of black goo came out of his pores and got on her hand. As she pulled her hand away the skin from his cheek went with it. Underneath his skin was all black ooze. It began to drip. The girls hand now had a patch of the boy's skin stuck to it, and instead of blood on the exposed side there was more of the black goo. Obviously disgusted, she shook the skin off of her hand. Then she reached up to her own cheek and scratched. Her skin peeled away, revealing the same black goo that was revealed by her striking the older boy. Seeing this, the three of them began to scream. As their screaming grew louder more of their skin fell away from their bodies, revealing more and more black goo. Then their eyes lit up with red light.
The moment that the first slap landed I told the woman next to me that we needed to start running. But at first we didn't move. We were transfixed by the horror unfolding before our eyes. Then we ran.
But they gave chase.
And we continued to run.
But before long we became tired, and realized that we needed some place to hide.
It was then that we stumbled upon a room that was full of places to hide. And we hid. I turned to the woman and told her that we would be ok, that there was no way they would find us. Then the "children" ran into the room. Now their faces were all covered in the black goo. And it was dripping. And they were looking for us.
This is when I began to feel the terror.
I've never really been frightened by a dream before, but this time...
This time I really felt the fear. I was scared.
The children of the goo began to run out of the room, and so I stood up and moved toward the woman I hoped to protect. But I moved too soon. They came back.
I found myself staring into the faces, well, not really faces anymore, of what had previously been children. Instead of faces there was more black goo. It formed a rough approximation of human faces, but really, they just looked like monsters.
Then it was over.
I woke up.

But even then I was struck by how powerful the terror I felt had been. I was truly afraid. I... I have not felt such fear ever before.

It was terrifying.

I hope that I don't have to go through that again.

That's enough.

Mr. W is done.

No comments: