9.21.2008

A post

I was just poking around the blogs that I try to stay current on, and I realized that I have, once again, not posted for a long time.

The reality is, I write lots of email at work. Also, my job basically consists of typing all day. When I get home I'm not especially enthusiastic about the prospect of typing some more.

So I don't.

Sometimes I send an email or two. Actually I recently happened upon an old friend from college, and I've written several fairly long emails to them. That makes it even less likely that I will make any further contributions to this blog. because, again, TOO MUCH TYPING!!!

But it's Sunday.
So here I am.

I recently decided that I would join a science fiction book club. Then I did.
Now there are a whole bunch of books headed my direction. And to fulfill my obligation to the club all I have to do is buy 2 more books. I think I should do that right away. And then cancel it. Because apparently there is a yearly fee, so if I wait too long I will be charged. And this is exactly the kind of thing I will forget about. So even though I have 9 books headed my way I should buy 2 more... Anyone have any ideas? I used up all of mine on the first 9. By the way, the first nine are:

THE GHOST BRIGADES
by John Scalzi

THE LAST COLONY
by John Scalzi

EMPIRE
by Orson Scott Card

SPOOK COUNTRY
by William Gibson

THE YEAR'S BEST SCIENCE FICTION, TWENTY-FIFTH ANNUAL COLLECTION
edited by Gardner Dozois

STAR WARS®: LEGACY OF THE FORCE: INVINCIBLE
by Troy Denning

WATCHMEN
by Alan Moore; illustrated by Dave Gibbons

SOON I WILL BE INVINCIBLE
by Austin Grossman

THE DARK ELF TRILOGY (3-IN-1)
by R.A. Salvatore

I've never tried reading a Star Wars book before or a Dragonlance/Dark Realms book like The Dark Elf Trilogy, but I'm hopeful that they'll be entertaining.

I suppose whats missing here is something by Neil Gaiman-- I read American Gods and I thought it was fantastic. Is there another Gaiman book like that one? Or really any other sci-fi book that I should check out?


Also, I have been playing the PS3 game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
IT IS AWESOME!
Sure, it has some playability problems, some of the controls are difficult to use correctly. But that doesn't matter. I love Star Wars, and this game fills in a whole lot of what happens between episode 3 and 4. And it is a cool story. You play as the secret apprentice of Darth Vader, a young man who is VERY powerful in his use of the force. And there are many other more familiar characters involved, including Leia, Darth Maul, Shaak Ti, Bale Organa and others. It's really cool, and really fun. I USED THE FORCE TO MAKE A STAR DESTROYER CRASH INTO A PLANET!!!! This game makes you feel POWERFUL!

It's awesome.
Period.

huh? Oh, I'm hungry.
Time to go.

Have fun everybody!
--Mr. W.

1 comment:

blue-foot Sue said...

I've just finished Spook Country.
It was a great read. Gibson always takes the current state of technology and the current sociopolitical situation and extrapolates. In this case he is considering the implications of information transfer via GPS and other satellite/cell technology.
He proposes a new art form (which I suspect may already exist in protean form) and he has a marvelous story about how money laundering could be done (or thwarted) by taking advantage of said technology. His characters were so well drawn that I could already imagine the movie. I especially liked the junkie Russian interpreter who was always reading a stolen book about 15th century messianism called the Flagellant Messiah. What a great character!